Capturing a Sense of Place – Semi-abstract Landscapes in Oil or Acrylic with Tom Voyce
We are very fortunate to have 2017 Landscape Artist of the Year Tom Voyce joining us in April for this landscape workshop. You will explore landscape painting concepts and techniques through the eyes of you the artist and your personal response to your surroundings. Together with Tom, you will explore outside with the idea of looking for interesting locations to draw from, creating thumbnail drawings to select an interesting composition.
Back in the studio, you will have the opportunity to learn new skills and techniques, as well as refine your own practice through discussions and demonstrations that will cover the history and basics of landscape painting. These will equip you with all the skills to produce an artwork that reflects a true sense of place.
The focus will be on ‘exploring place’ – working on composition, colour theory, etc, and then students will work to complete a painting or two.
PLEASE NOTE: This workshop does involve some sketching outside in the grounds of the studio (weather permitting), so, please wear appropriate clothes and shoes.
- Paint – preferably oil but acrylic is fine. A broad range of colours to include: Phthalo blue, Raw Umber, Titanium white, Burnt Sienna, Green, Cerulean Blue, Cadmium Red, Naples Yellow.-A range of brushes. Bristlewhite flats sizes 2, 3, 4, 5 ,6 and a large brush to prime
- 3 or so boards around A4/A5 / A6 size or anything near those sizes. Boards need preparing beforehand with a coloured ground (preferably quick drying acrylic (Naples yellow). We may work on 2 or 3 boards at once.
- Two/ three rags minimum
- Pallets. Tear off, or old plates/ boards
- White spirit/ Turps/ Liquin
- Clothes that you may get dirty and are appropriate for going outside
- Painting wedges if handy
- Pencils and eraser
- Sketchbook/ pad
- Any other materials that people use in their practice!
- An appropriate bag to carry sketching items outsideProvided by Cornwall School of Art if required
- Drawing boards
- Water jars
All art materials are available to purchase in the Truro Arts shop, 26 River Street Truro TR1 2SJ, and you will receive a 10% discount on all supplies for the course.
Tom Voyce (b. 1989) is a British painter whose subject matter comprises of a variety of different themes such as interiors and semi abstracted landscapes, often within the notion of place and transit. He was the 2017 winner of Sky Arts Landscape Artist of the Year.Find Out More
Our courses usually begin at 10am and end at 4:30pm, with a half an hour lunch break at around 1pm. There will also be brief morning and afternoon breaks, with free tea and coffee available in the kitchen area. At Lunch time you can make things nice and easy by pre-ordering a freshly prepared Coach House Lunch. Alternatively, you’re very welcome to bring along a packed lunch and any other refreshments you like.
On sunny days students and tutors are invited to enjoy breaktimes outside in the leafy courtyard or gardens surrounded by birdsong.
Please choose ticket type below.
Cancellations must be made in writing/email more than 4 weeks prior to the course start date to guarantee a refund. Read our full policy on the Course Terms & Conditions page.