Illustrating Children’s Books – A Practical Insight with Caroline Pedler
This is a course for all level of illustrators or budding storytellers. It will predominantly be using the professional sketching process called thumbnails, to sketch out a storyline of choice, or one provided. There will be a brief introduction, explaining the format of the day, followed by some pointers and technical insights into book publishing and self-initiated work. You will explore how to initiate a story idea, then deal with character development and thumbnailing narrative.
There will be plenty of one-on-one throughout the session, offering bespoke creative direction. The day will also cover various technical and professional insights into illustrating for publication, whilst also learning a little about Caroline’s life as a professional illustrator. There will be a chance to look through original artwork for publication, the process of ideas, sketches and final art along with sketchbooks that Caroline uses for her personal work. Having combined a day of Caroline’s expert tuition with your own ideas and capabilities, you will leave having created your own illustrated story.
- Coloured pencils
- Small paints (Like a watercolour set)
- Graphite pencils
- Black pen for outlining (fineliner)
- Cartridge paper for sketching
- The most important thing is to come armed with ideas of stories and characters you would like to develop. We suggest bringing along any imagery/words/characters/ stories that inspire you on a phone/tablet or printed.
PROVIDED BY CORNWALL SCHOOL OF ART IF REQUIRED
- Drawing boards
THE PAINT SHARE
- We can supply Daler-Rowney Georgian Oils or System 3 acrylics for use throughout the course, making it nice and easy to try something new without a big investment.
- Just add a £10 ‘Paint Share’ option to your basket while booking, or at anytime prior to the course.
- If you have not chosen to add a paint share to your booking please ensure you bring all colours listed.
All art materials are available to purchase in the Truro Arts shop, 26 River Street Truro TR1 2SJ, and you will receive a 10% discount on all supplies for the course.
Caroline is an Illustrator, artist and educator. She has exhibited and curated numerous shows around the UK and more recently been part of illustration exhibitions in Bologna, Italy, Shanghai, China and Sharjah, UE.Find Out More
Our courses usually begin at 10am and end at 4:30pm, with a half an hour lunch break at around 1pm. There will also be brief morning and afternoon breaks, with free tea and coffee available in the kitchen area. At Lunch time you can make things nice and easy by pre-ordering a freshly prepared Coach House Lunch. Alternatively, you’re very welcome to bring along a packed lunch and any other refreshments you like.
On sunny days students and tutors are invited to enjoy breaktimes outside in the leafy courtyard or gardens surrounded by birdsong.
Please choose ticket type below.
Cancellations must be made in writing/email more than 4 weeks prior to the course start date to guarantee a refund. Read our full policy on the Course Terms & Conditions page.