Autumn Landscapes in Oils with Andrew Barrowman
Andrew Barrowman is a popular Cornish artist based at Krowji, who’s signature style has caught the attention of many galleries and private collectors, both in the county and further afield. This one day oil painting course is suitable for all levels of ability, including absolute beginners.
Working in oils you will paint the beautiful landscape of Cornwall, complete with hazy Autumn skies. Andrew will first introduce you to his methods of oil painting and show some examples of his work. You will then look at colour mixing, before learning how to paint convincing skies.
After a quick look at composing your paintings using the Golden Cut, you will begin a practice piece on an absorbent cardboard support using paints mixed with oil medium. This will help establish a good design and eliminate compositional problems, as well as giving the opportunity to get a feel for the paints.
- 2 Boards or canvases around 20 x 30 cm in size, primed with acrylic gesso or traditional gesso ready for oil painting.
★ If possible, at least a week before to allow for drying time, apply a yellow ochre or raw sienna ground to 1 of the supports (paint the entire board / canvas, using a brush or cloth, with a thin wash of oil paint, diluted with turpentine or turpentine substitute). Leave the other canvas / board white.
★ Alternatively paint a yellow ochre / raw sienna layer (called a ground colour) onto a canvas or board with acrylic which will dry quicker.
- Oil paints: Cobalt blue, Ultramarine blue, Cerulean blue (not essential but useful), Lemon yellow, Cadmium yellow, Cadmium Red, Alizarin Crimson, Magenta or Carmine, Yellow Ochre or Raw Sienna, Titanium White, Ivory Black. Please feel free to bring any other colours you have available and want to use or try in landscape painting.
- Hogs hair paint brushes (or synthetic equivalent) for oils – a range of sizes and shapes would be useful although Andrew often paints a painting with just 2 or 3 brushes.
- A palette knife (Andrew likes trowel shape)
- A paint palette for mixing paints on (a small sheet of hardboard or plywood is good – disposable palettes are ok too.)
- Rags (Andrew finds paper towels don’t absorb oil like cotton rags do)
- Turpentine / turps substitute / Gamsol or Zest-it in a jar/pot with a lid on
- Linseed oil or Stand oil (a small amount will be used to mix a medium with turps)
- Please bring a photograph or iPad / phone to paint from. Andrew will have some spare photos for use.
- Please wear old clothes or a painting apron as it may get messy!
Provided by Cornwall School of Art if required
- Drawing boards
THE PAINT SHARE
We can supply Daler-Rowney Georgian Oils for use throughout the course, making it nice and easy to try something new without a big investment. Just add a ticket that includes our £10 ‘Paint Share’ option to your basket when booking. If you have not chosen to add a paint share to your booking please ensure you bring all colours listed.
All art materials are available to purchase in the Truro Arts shop, 26 River Street Truro TR1 2SJ, and you will receive a 10% discount on all supplies for the course.
Cancellation policy: Cancellations must be made in writing more than 4 weeks prior to the course start date to guarantee a refund. Cornwall School of Art reserves the right to retain the full fee amount in case of cancellation after the 4 week deadline. Please read the full T&Cs on our website www.cornwallartschool.co.uk
Andrew trained and worked in illustration before taking up oils over 20 years ago. Now Helston based, he mainly works en plein air or from his studio at Krowji Redruth, painting the landscapes of Cornwall – particularly Porthleven, Mullion and the Lizard Peninsula.Find Out More
Our courses usually begin at 10am and end at 4:30pm, with a half an hour lunch break at around 1pm. There will also be brief morning and afternoon breaks, with free tea and coffee available in the kitchen area. At Lunch time you can make things nice and easy by pre-ordering a freshly prepared Coach House Lunch. Alternatively, you’re very welcome to bring along a packed lunch and any other refreshments you like.
On sunny days students and tutors are invited to enjoy breaktimes outside in the leafy courtyard or gardens surrounded by birdsong.
Please choose ticket type below.
Cancellations must be made in writing/email more than 4 weeks prior to the course start date to guarantee a refund. Read our full policy on the Course Terms & Conditions page.