An Introduction to Botanical Watercolour with Laura Silburn
This course is led by award-winning botanical artist Laura Silburn, who is a three time RHS gold medal winner.
Laura will teach you to study the detail of natural objects and guide you through the process of creating a small but perfectly formed piece of botanical art. She will explain just how and why botanical illustration has been so important historically in documenting plants, and why it remains such a vibrant art form today. This workshop aims to introduce you to techniques you can use or adapt in your own work and is suitable for beginners, improvers looking to ‘tighten up’ or those wishing to try a new technique.
- At least one or two small watercolour brushes, sizes 1 – 3. (Winsor and Newton series 7 are the best, but if you prefer a synthetic brush make sure you get one with a good point.)
- A selection of artists quality watercolour paints including the following colours:(If you don’t already have a set just these 3 primary colours are enough to get started.)
- Cadmium Lemon
- Permanent Rose
- A cartridge paper or sketch book
- A small amount of hot-pressed (smooth) watercolour paper. (Preferably Fabriano, Arches or Saunders Waterford.)
- A palette or white plate
- Kitchen towel or a cloth to wipe brushes
Materials provided for students (you do not need to bring)
- A selection of colours, brushes, and paper to complement your own materials.
- Kits containing pencils (HB ad 2H, and a 0.3 propelling pencil), dividers, eraser, propelling eraser and blender.
- Plant/fruit/vegetable material to paint.
- Drawing boards & water jars.
Provided by Cornwall School of Art if required
- Drawing boards
- Water jars
Our courses usually begin at 10am and end at 4:30pm, with a half an hour lunch break at around 1pm. There will also be brief morning and afternoon breaks, with free tea and coffee available in the kitchen area. At Lunch time you can make things nice and easy by pre-ordering a freshly prepared Coach House Lunch. Alternatively, you’re very welcome to bring along a packed lunch and any other refreshments you like.
On sunny days students and tutors are invited to enjoy breaktimes outside in the leafy courtyard or gardens surrounded by birdsong.
Please choose ticket type below.
Cancellations must be made in writing/email more than 4 weeks prior to the course start date to guarantee a refund. Read our full policy on the Course Terms & Conditions page.